Thursday, September 2, 2010

Inventory story

Human beings have always been a seeker of success and have hunted far and wide for each and every opportunity of prosperity. People leave their native land and travel to a foreign land that offers them a better life for them and their upcoming generations. There is lot of push factors that forces people to move out and pull factors that influences people to move to in. Certain push factors are violence, political disturbance, and natural disasters whereas better education, employment opportunities and safe environment are few of the pull factors. For me the main pull factor was the better education and the opportunity to look forward for a successful career in Nursing. However, it was a challenge for me to adapt in this new culture and environment. After I came to US, the first thing I had to do was to know about US culture in order to understand the different perspectives of their values, norms and behavior. I am a girl from Nepal, which lies in south Asia. So, while comparing my country with this country there are lots of differences regarding culture and other social values. I was always worried thinking if I could adjust myself in this new culture and be a part of it. To make things easier I always thought to make new international friends in this land .After joining some classes fortunately I got chance to make many new friends from this country. One day I went with one of my good friend’s house, she is a girl form this country she invited me to her house for dinner. I was also very excited to visit her and her other family members. When I first entered her home, we sat in a Lobby for a while. Suddenly my eyes jumped up in very beautiful souvenir which was a framed picture of Island of Majorca. I asked her about it. She told me that her father brought it for her house when he visited there. The place where we were sitting was really wonderful with lots of precious stuffs, like comfortable couches covered with beautiful piece of clothes etc. That time I missed my home a lot. I’d just like a chance to relax like in my own home. I used to live in a college dorm for this reason too I was not being able to see all those things. When me and my friend were talking in a lobby one Mongolian woman entered bringing a cup of tea for us. I immediately identified her that she belongs to Asian background because I also belong to same group. My friends introduced her and came to know that she is her step mom from Singapore. Her father married that lady when her mother died. My friend was just 3 years at that time. I found her as a very kind lady because she took every responsibility that one mother should have for her children. She was much opened minded lady but slightly dedicated to her culture and religion. It seems she was very happy to share everything about her. When we were talking she pointed toward one typical man statue which was made up with wood. She described that those types of people used to be her ancestors and she really admired them. I felt myself that my friend is very lucky to have a step mom like her. May be that is the reason for being my friend very cultural, dedicated to family and polite nature. After having a nice talk her mom told us to go for dinner and we walk towards a kitchen. Her kitchen was really artistic like her lobby. Walls were furnished with artistic marble, cupboard with full of nicely painted plates, bowls and cups. Her step mom said she brought it from her country. I got chance to eat in that beautifully painted plate. That day she cooked her own Singapore food that is rice and sea food curry. I really enjoyed eating such a delicious food after many days. After finishing our dinner she took us to her and my friend’s father room. Again I am shocked of seeing a statue of Lord Jesus and black colored statue of Lord Buddha. I am a girl from Nepal and as every people know that Lord Buddha was born in Nepal so lots of people belongs to Buddhist religion but they don’t pray other religion god but it was very shocking scenario for me because two religions gods were put together. So, I asked about it too, and she simply answered me that there is only one god in a world with different faces. She said that I, Stephanie and her father all of us pray both god everyday with equal respect which really touched my heart. Also in that room there is small boat made of wood and very old chest nuts in her room’s cupboard seems that those things are also very valuable for her. Again I asked about it and she told me that grandmother belongs to Mongolia so when she visited Mongolia, her grand ma gave it to her before many years. It showed that she is also attached to her family back in her native country. She treated me like her own daughter; whatever she could do for me she did it. She warmly welcomed me while going back to my dorm also she hugged me and kissed me. One important part of my visit was she gave me a wallet of Mongolia with Singapore currency inside it as a gift. Though it might not be too expensive but her affection and respect towards me is highly regarded. I wish her and my friend for long lasting relationship which should have one mother for her children and child for his or her mom. Finally, I don’t want to identify her as a stepmom but her own mom, she is really kind, determined and optimistic for her culture and family. I really take this as an important visit in my life by which I learned a lot of things. I will definitely going to tell this as a story for my future generation as a nice and true story that happened in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment